I wasn’t a fan of onions or peppers when I was younger.
Now that I’m not as young, I love them. Can’t get enough of them. I’m fairly certain peppers and onions are my love language.
This recipe pairs the two perfectly, along with garlic and some Asian flavors. The egg rolls are baked instead of frying, making this meal healthy and easy enough for a weeknight family meal.
Baked Chicken & Pepper Egg Rolls
recipe adapted from here
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken
1 large onion
2 bell peppers in the color(s) of your choice
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbs. olive oil
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1/4 c. stir fry sauce (optional)
12-14 egg roll wrappers
oil or cooking spray
kosher salt for sprinkling
1. Cut chicken, onions, and peppers into thin strips; mince garlic.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet and add chicken. When the chicken is no longer pink, add the peppers and onions and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the garlic, soy sauce, and stir fry sauce, if using. Cook for five minutes more.
4. Allow mixture to cool. If you like to make meals ahead, you could stop at this point and refrigerate the chicken and vegetable mixture.
5. When you’re ready to fill the egg roll wrappers, place a couple spoonfuls of the mixture onto the wrapper. Roll the paper according to the package instructions.
6. Place rolls on a lightly sprayed foil-lined baking sheet. Spray them all lightly with cooking spray or brush with oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Note that rolls will not turn golden like they would if they were fried.
**I haven’t tried reheating these, so I can’t vouch for how they would taste. If you aren’t eating them all at once, I suggest baking only enough for one meal, then saving the mixture and baking more later.